[FRIAM] the end of the pandemic

Gary Schiltz gary at naturesvisualarts.com
Mon May 11 17:36:30 EDT 2020

Ok, a little clarification is in order. Quito is about 50 miles away, but
I'm not allowed to drive there (travel is extremely controlled right now).
Where I can shop is only about 15 miles away, but I can only drive on
Fridays, from 5am until 2pm. From 2pm until the following day at 5am is a
nationwide curfew. Ecuador is in deep trouble, with on the order of 60-70
billion dollars of foreign debt, dependent on export of historically
low-priced petroleum and bananas. Since the country switched to the US
dollar in 2000, they can't simply print more money like some countries I
could name. Good to avoid hyper-inflation, but how to keep essential
services running? President Moreno's popularity is somewhere around 8%
right now if I remember correctly. Despite all this, supplies of essentials
(food, fuel) have not dried up - I don't know how. IMF just approved an
additional $1.4 billion loan to tide the country over, but how long will
that last? There are over 100 cantons in the country, and they are each
allowed to decide which of three states to be in: red (most restrictive
lockdown), yellow (considerable relaxing of restrictions), or green (fewest
restrictions). Only three chose to stay move from red to yellow this week,
the rest staying in red. I could go on and on, I just don't know how it's
all going to turn out. Despite all this, I strangely feel safer here in the
middle of my 100 acres of cloud forest than if I were in the USA.