[FRIAM] the end of the pandemic

Steven A Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon May 11 16:13:25 EDT 2020

Gary -

I'd find it interesting and informative if not directly actionable to
know more about how things are there in Ecuador.

I'm surprised that you are as far from groceries as 50 miles?  I was
thinking you were living closer to a major city (Quito?) but
nevertheless semi-rural?   Are there no smaller markets open closer to
you, or do you prefer to shop (only) at the larger markets (limiting
yourself to 1 trip)?   What are the infection rates there and do you
have a feeling for where the biggest risks are for the population?

I track a few "instagrammer types" who were traveling in self-contained
van/camper setups around the world when this hit.   One has returned
from their trek from Utah down to Tierra del Fuego (and back), finally
giving up and returning from the Uraguayan border of Argentina by
airline, leaving their van in storage there.   The other couple had
already bought a small piece of land and parked their converted
short-bus there permanently when this hit and have been reporting nearly
daily as they cope with the shutdowns there.   Others were in Morocco
(now one in Canada and the others in Croatia and another back in the
UK).   Each one has their own idiosyncratic view of the whole
experience, but the bottom line I'm sensing is that those countries (and
the ones some had to travel through) are MUCH more draconian in their
rules than the US is, for better or worse.

Maybe this pandemic is an illusion created and maintained by "the
liberal elite", but if it is their reach is a great deal more expansive
than I could have imagined.

My 22 year old nephew in Tucson was just released from his (self)
quarantine.  His earliest symptoms came on at the end of March but he
was unable to get a doctor's appointment or a (subsequent) test, just
the phone recommendations to "stay home to avoid infecting anyone) and
some general information about what symptoms to treat as worthy of an
emergency hospital visit.   He didn't have overtly corona-exclusive
symptoms until about 2 weeks in, when his smell and taste were severely
compromised.   He is still having mild fatigue and shortness of breath,
but nothing that can't be attributed to being (ever-more) sedentary for
6 weeks.  He's following social-distance and masking when leaving home,
but the doctors (on the phone) gave him the greenlight with those
restrictions.  It is a mildly hypochondriac family, and I know he gets
extra points/dispensation for having been infected, but it does sound
like he probably was.  He says the docs are not offering antigen
testing, ambiguously because A) they don't have access; or B) they don't
think it should change his future behaviour.

Last night, I zoomed with that whole branch of my family (my mother, my
only sister, her husband and their 3 adult children), all excepting the
nephew are hard-core Fox-News watching Trump-train riders.   One niece
is a nurse in Riverside CA, living with a Doctor.. both treating COVID19
patients daily, though their hospital is mid-sized and has not been
overwhelmed, specializing in taking the overflow from the smaller
surrounding towns and running a suite of triage tents in the parking
lot.   There was no discussion of politics including NO rattling on
(like they did 6 weeks ago) about the "Democrat Hoax".

My sister is in a k-8 Montessori school and half of the staff believes
they do not need masks or PPE (now that they are back) but my sister
(with her son's experience) is not giving over to that idea wears a
mask, sanitizes, and keeps her distance as best she can.  She is worried
that if the students return (today) to that environment, that they are
just asking to be another source of a fresh cluster of infections.   The
timing is such that whoever is (maybe) being exposed today, should be
recovering (if they survive) from this fresh burst of infection about
the time Dave thinks the pandemic (aka hysteria) will subside.  It is a
small school (a few hundred staff/teachers/students) and maybe nobody in
that pool is currently infected, and maybe they will all avoid becoming
infected during that period.

They also acknowledged (in January) that "Climate Change is real, and
going to cause real problems for real people, like US!", when they had
been ardent (if polite) deniers for at least the 20 years I have put
down my own denial/cynicism on the topic.    I have no idea who they are
going to vote for  in November...  maybe they will just stay home (since
AZ is not likely to eagerly embrace vote-by-mail like NM already has
declared for).

ramble,

 - Steve