[FRIAM] the end of the pandemic

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon May 11 17:44:46 EDT 2020

Let’s compare the consequences of different leadership styles:

   https://www.economy.com/south-korea/unemployment-rate

   https://www.economy.com/united-states/unemployment-rate

From: Friam <friam-bounces at redfish.com> on behalf of David Eric Smith <desmith at santafe.edu>
Date: Monday, May 11, 2020 at 2:31 PM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam at redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] the end of the pandemic

Replying to the Snoke post, and only to a specific part of it:

Why bother to put a bunch of text into refuting logical fallacies in screeds that were never about deduction in the first place?

Here is the republican version.

BOASTING:  We have dismembered the government!
FEINED OUTRAGE:  The government doesn’t do anything useful for us!
ERGO:  Dismember the government!

As Marcus rightly said: don’t analyze; execute plans against these individuals.

The logical fallacy below?  (Apart from the one Marcus already pointed out, that to compare a 3-month 1-cause death rate after mitigation to yearly all-cause, as the argument for no mitigation, is obvious bullshit that doesn’t even try to hide.). There was an article in the Atlantic sometime recently, that the 50-100 million dead from the Spanish flu left a significant mark within some parts of culture but the lives of a great many people.  That was before fast transportation.

Whether a shutdown of a couple of months induces the collapse of an economy is not an inevitability, which the below pretends it is, but rather an outcome of quite clear choices.  Choices in what the economy was before, and choices of what you do during the quick transient period.  If you shut down quick and hard, backstop the _relations_ that keep people employed, implement test and trace and public health accepting that this will be a noticeable fraction of GDP going forward, and build new protocols understanding that work will not “go back” but will require a new compensating context, then this becomes a sharp and expensive setback.  But the high-cost and high-latency steps of matching people to jobs on vast scale is not paid, because you don’t throw all that away.  Likewise you choose a public redistribution over having debt crises in hundreds of millions of private contracts, all open to extortion because the debtors are alone and unorganized, etc.

It wasn’t the market drop of 1929 that caused the depression.  The 1-day drop in 1987 was larger, I believe I one knew and now think I recall.  It was how the economy had been structured before, plus the non-responses or poor responses of the Hoover administration, that turned a financial hitch into the entry to a decadal depression.

I was going to write a post a few days ago about how economists love to borrow metaphors from biology.  This would be a good time to look at the abstraction of group selection, and maybe help it along a little.  Countries that weren’t too sick at the beginning, and made a competent effort in the response, will have a few months sharp setback to deal with, and a year or more of considerable but not fatal costs.  They should have months of head start in building back some degree of function, ahead of the countries that are working toward a depression and can be in this situation for a year or more (supposing there is a vaccine that soon).  Maybe much longer than that if they create an economic collapse that is self-perpetuating even after public-health remedies become technically available.

NZ and Australia are looking at 2-country air travel if they think they can sanitize it enough.  Air travel, to the extent that it resumes, should be added one-country-at-a-time to a club of those who can implement and follow a public health protocol that the current members accept, which includes keeping the case numbers of eligible travelers sufficiently low.  Countries that are too corrupt or too incompetent to be admitted should be shut out.  They wanted to be pariahs; help ensure that they are pariahs.  It’s called sanctions.  Leverage the advantage countries can gain from having chosen to do the right thing, as an investment in keeping their ideas alive and allowing better ideas to recolonize the wreckage of the places that burned themselves out.

It’s not just generalities and international steps either.  There are specific things that one can look for ways to do.  I am on a different list with a lot of farmers, and local agriculture is under demand it has not seen ever in modern times, while the centralized western/southern-states meatpackers both can’t get people to work, and have no infrastructure for storage and distribution to make emergency workarounds.  So the players who used to be in coercive power are wobbly enough that we should try to tip them over.  Instead of using public money to bail out a system that worked poorly before and can’t work at all now — and that will be a bad waste of public money because it is not built out correctly — we can look for opportunities both individual and political to try to get organized support into relocalizing ag.  The farmers are on board and eager to go.  One briefly could get the public’s attention, because they aren’t doing much else.  That alone is not enough, but when the power was entrenched and well-defended, we didn’t even have this much.

I am not against Snokes's complaints that the predators are using this as a distraction to steal more.  That seems correct and urgent.  There is no reason it could not be mated to a more rounded picture of the other part.  Probably he writes that way because he is trying to get a single local decision made _now_, in a context that he doesn’t have a way to change.  But I wish he would accept so much language from a framing that is inherently false.

Eric