[FRIAM] Movement vs. Behavior, and what's in the Black Box

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Tue May 12 20:10:11 EDT 2020

I think Jon's contribution (and my response) argue that the entire space can be spanned by such domain specifiers. So, I don't think we're dealing with borderline examples, only examples that demonstrate the spanning.

I don't think agree with Holt's criteria for distinguishing behavior from movement. The example of the antenna (or *any* passive and maybe even purely *reactive*)  demonstrates that such things behave. The passive and reactive sense of behaving is necessary for me in order to get at the hidden states, memory-laden, hysterical (hysteretical?), processes I think we need in order to approach human thought. If, e.g. an inductor, can be considered "behaving" according to Holt's criteria, then it might be OK. But if an inductor's or capacitor's behavior is classified as "mere movement", then no, I disagree.

It's good to hear that you're willing to allow behavior *composition* (e.g. cellular behavior composes into tissue behavior composes into object behavior). But I reject the concept of "in principle visible". We either have a seeing-device or we don't. And if we don't have the device with which to measure it, then it's not directly [†] measurable. (Now, as I've implied before, we can *indirectly* measure something that's hidden. That's what I'd like to eventually talk about. We can indirectly measure celery cell behavior by watching the color. We can indirectly measure someone's thoughts by EEG ... or asking them questions. But those things are still hidden, not directly measurable.) Your holographic principle asserts that there is a *bound* (or limit) to the spanning parameter such that any hypothetical thing beyond it, hidden, is "invalid". (The analogy is to the Bekenstein bound, if I understand that correctly.) In your language, you might say that talking about anything inside the bound is "invalid", whereas talking about things outside the bound is "understood as empirical questions about behavior". My contribution is simply to formulate this so that it can apply across the board, everywhere, to antennas and humans. And if I'm lucky, we might be able to start arguing about *where* that bound/limit lies.

And, again Jon's contribution demonstrates that at least the celery (organism-eye, tissue-scope, cell-scope) example *is* about scale. But not all hiding need be about scale.

[†] I imagine there's an argument waiting for me out there that I'm kicking the can down the road with "direct" and "indirect". But we can define a graph/network of transformations and a hop number across those transformations. By that, we can define a "distance" between the measuring device (e.g. eyeball) and the thing measured (e.g. cells). The greater that distance, the more indirect it is, the more hidden the target is. Another way to demonstrate this point would be to say something like some microscopes are more powerful than others, or some telescopes allow you to see further than others. The hiddenness, directness, hop distance is described by these words "power" and "further".

[‡] Of course, Jon's generalization to domains also allows discrete/disjoint domains that can't be spanned by a continuous thing like a scalar. It opens us up to, say, changing types or even changing the entire algebra. And that might be required to capture the historicity, stigmergy, developmental trajectory of an individual human. E.g. Nick can't continuously turn some knob like scale to get to Frank's perspective. He'd have to change the whole universe of discourse (domain) in order to do that. But if I can't even get others to understand hiddenness of scale, there's no way in Hell I'll be able to get someone to understand the hiddenness of more radical domain changes.

--
☣ uǝlƃ