[FRIAM] Movement vs. Behavior, and what's in the Black Box

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Tue May 12 18:51:24 EDT 2020

Glen,
That is excellent! However, I think it brings us back to the problem of
starting with borderline examples.

I *might *be willing to talk about pond scum behaving, but certainly not
without further analysis. Did we agree to use Holt's criteria for
distinguishing behavior from mere movement? If so, we can evaluate whether
the cells in the celery or the tissues are "behaving." I think both are
unlikely to make the cut, but, as with the pond scum, I'm willing to be
convinced. The issue isn't size/scale, the issue is how to properly
describe the movements in question. What is the goal of the celery cell?
How does the celery cell vary its movements to accomplish that goal? Please
feel free to speculate for now, if necessary... so long as everything you
speculate can, in principle, be confirmed or refuted by experiment.

Remember, in a casual conversation, you could talk about the "behavior" of
a rock rolling down a hill, the "behavior" of the planets in the sky, the
"behavior" of a stream, etc., etc. But once we start trying to be rigorous
with our terms, that stops working pretty quickly. The same restriction
happens with the central terms of all sciences.

The issue of what is or is not "hidden" is a different issue from "scale",
so I'm not sure where to go in regards to that part of your comment. In the
way of thinking Nick and I are talking advancing, small behaviors
definitely still count as behaviors, including ones you would need a
microscope to detect. Those are still in-principle visible. You could
construct Holt's base example of behavior with well under 100 cells for the
whole organism.

Eric P. Charles, Ph.D.
Department of Justice - Personnel Psychologist
American University - Adjunct Instructor
<echarles at american.edu>