[FRIAM] Movement vs. Behavior, and what's in the Black Box

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 16:23:14 EDT 2020

George,

I, too, watched such an ant.  At any one moment, it was struggling ahead in a single direction carrying an elmseed; but over the whole ten minutes that I watched it, it went around in three large circles.   This sort of thing is why I am so reluctant to encumber the notion of behavior with the notion of goal-direction.  I happy to say that from my point of view the ant was behaving, despite having no idea what the ant was trying to achieve by that behavior.

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/