[FRIAM] Gentleman's Club

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Thu May 14 20:22:27 EDT 2020

Glen astutely begins:
"We talk a lot about filosofy, culture, and politics on this list. And we
quote a lot of old white guys. Sporadically one of us will lament..."

>From a wonderfully humorous wikipedia article on The Gentleman's Club
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentlemen%27s_club>:
"An increasing number of clubs were characterised by their members'
interest in politics, literature, sport, art, automobiles, travel,
particular countries, or some other pursuit. In other cases, the connection
between the members was membership of the same branch of the armed forces,
or the same school or university. Thus the growth of clubs provides an
indicator as to what was considered a respectable part of the
"Establishment" at the time.

By the late 19th century, any man with a credible claim to the status of
"gentleman" was eventually able to find a club willing to admit him, unless
his character was objectionable in some way or he was "unclubbable" (a word
first used by Samuel Johnson <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Johnson>
).[2] <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentlemen%27s_club#cite_note-2> This
newly-expanded category of English society came to include professionals
who had to earn their income, such as doctors and lawyers."

Is it possible we are a gentleman's club? If so, I suspect I am
*unclubbable*.