[FRIAM] from 5/15 virtual FRIAM

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sat May 16 17:43:51 EDT 2020

Before Utah, it was the mobs. The first time the Feds stepped in was forced conscription of almost every able bodied man - just as they were beginning their emigration to Utah (the Mormon Battalion who were marched to Mexico before being released from service). Statehood was predicated on armed invasion (actually the troops stopped in Wyoming, ran out of salt, refused Brigham Young's gift of salt, and did no more than threaten and bluster) by the US Federal Government, the Feds deposed Brigham Young and installed a political governor, rescinded women's right to vote and hold public office (both of which they had from the beginning of the church and would not recover until the rest of the US passed the 19th amendment), the Feds, confiscated all property belonging to anyone with any kind of tie to polygamy, shut down the breweries and distilleries, etc. etc.

It is not a "few elders." The entire Church has less than 100 full-time ecclesiastical elders. Everything else is lay members, serving for limited terms. The one deciding if you get resources is not "an elder" it is your neighbor and probably your friend, and since he is a lay person, maybe your employer or employee.

I have a solid antipathy to any government,

... except I have no problem with the situational leadership, a kind of government, that prevailed among people before we, as a species, invented agriculture. And, don't try to tell me that "primitive" forms of government, or non-hierarchical and institutional forms of government can't scale to modern society. You do not know that, and there is lots of evidence that such an assertion would be wrong.

If Mormonism were a theocracy I would abhor it equally. However, the socio-cultural System that operates in parallel to but fundamentally apart from the doctrinal church is, I believe, admirable because it is a peer-to-peer, everyone equal, means for assuring smooth social interaction and mutual interdependence as necessary. Not even close to a government.

I would echo Steve G's proposal to turn 'welfare" over to faith-based organizations, but no any such. Only those without a full time costly bureaucracy of priests, prelates, cardinals, et. al. and only those that are not de facto theocracies. This leaves a short list, like the mennonites, amish (both would be difficult because they are insular), the Soka Gakkai (a modern thread of Buddhism), LDS, and a host of specific congregations among other faiths.

Rant — nape hair fully erect
davew