[FRIAM] from 5/15 virtual FRIAM

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 14:21:31 EDT 2020

Hi David,

As I review to myself the very little I know about LDS history, it seems to
me that the church suffered more at the hands of mobs than it did of
governments.  Is that true?  And if so, where does the distaste for
governments arise?  And how is a system in which some few elders can deploy
the resources of a community as they see fit NOT a government?
I keep expecting Jim Gattiker to weigh in.  I think he will say something
about the hegemony and coercive power of The State.  With LDS you can always
choose a different religion.  So, it's not that you fear governments, it's
that you fear SOME governments.  And then the question is, what is the
difference between governments you fear and those you don't?

Nick
Nicholas Thompson
ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/