[FRIAM] from 5/15 virtual FRIAM

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 23:29:54 EDT 2020

Hmmm.  I am afraid I may have underemphasized something in my discussions of “truth”.  The Pragmatic Maxim (which is what Jon refers to), is

Consider what effects, that might conceivably have practical bearings, we conceive the object of our conception to have. Then, our conception of these effects is the whole of our conception of the object. (CP 5.402; emphasis added)as cribbed from http://www.asatheory.org/current-newsletter-online/the-pragmatic-maxim

Please note that, as applied to the word, “truth”,  the maxim is a thesis, not about what truth IS, but what we mean when we say something is a truth.  The consequences for scientific practice – what I call the practicial consequences – of looking for the truth of the matter is to send every scientist looking for that answer upon which science will rest in the very long run.

This is an interesting example of intensionality.  Nothing in the pragmatic maxim implies that there is a truth of any matter.  It implies only that when you say anything is true, you are implying that, in the very long run opinion, will come to agree with you.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/