[FRIAM] from 5/15 virtual FRIAM

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 21:47:09 EDT 2020

Jon-

While reading your essay I had several associations.  I recently read the
assertion that in developing axiomatic systems and proving the entailed
theorems mathematicians are writing for God as the authority.  So
mathematics, from that point of view is a conversation with God.

At the other extreme (?) I thought Reuben Hersh held a view similar to the
one you attribute to Nick:  that mathematics is the set of theorems that
mathematicians agree to by consensus.

I agree that Newtonian physics and differential calculus are the correct
model for objects moving in a vacuum.  I was given an $85 ticket by a
rookie police officer for rolling through a stop sign.  She said my wheels
never completely stopped turning  I don't think any experienced officer
would have given me a citation.  I had fantasies of writing to the judge
explaining that an object moving along a continuous path can stop for zero
seconds (unit of time irrelevant).  This happens when you throw an object
straight up (directly away from the center of the earth).  I don't know
about whether space and time have the Hausdorff property but for traffic
purposes it doesn't matter.

In the Woody Allen film "Sleeper", Allen's character wakes up 200 years in
the future.  He's getting in to know a stranger and he tells him that he
owned a health food store in Greenwich Village.  The stranger looked
puzzled and then said, "Oh, those were the days before scientists realized
that the ideal diet consists of steak and chocolate milkshakes".

I feel, without evidence, that mankind will not last long enough to see all
science as settled.  There is hope for pure math.

Is any of this responsive to your email?

Frank

---
Frank C. Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz,