[FRIAM] anonymity/deniability/ambiguity

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Thu May 21 12:29:28 EDT 2020

Reminds me of when I was an undergraduate at Berkeley.  I had a TA in
History of Philosophy who was a Harvard graduate.  Sport coat, bow tie,
horn-rimmed glasses, etc.  In the food court the walked up to one of the
workers and said, "I think this milk is spoiled."  The guy said "You THINK
it's spoiled?"  "Well, I know it's spoiled.  I was just being more or less
polite."

Decoder cues:  Berkeley, history of philosophy.

We're beginning to really communicate, Glen.

Frank

On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 10:19 AM uǝlƃ ☣ <gepropella at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ha! Nice one. We have only the "apparently" qualifier to guide our decoder
> choice.
>
> I forget the phrase Jon used, but I thought "humility signalling" when he
> mentioned it and I described being accused of false humility (in a friendly
> way). By peppering one's assertions with "I think" and "in my opinion"
> and/or regularly denigrating oneself (all of which I do a lot), yet
> continuing to *act* arrogant and defending one's assertions to the grave,
> have we descended to playing some game of false humility? ... are we
> expected to pepper everything we say this way and purposefully hide our
> arrogance and self-centeredness?
>
> I honestly have no idea. I could easily be a raging narcissist who's
> *learned* to manipulate people by peppering my language with
> self-denigration and IMO qualifiers. Or (as it feels internally), I am
> actually scared to death that I'm a moron surrounded by super-intelligent
> beings and I'm just desparate to stay in the game. I seriously have no idea
> which is the case ... probably a little bit of both. 8^D
>

> On 5/21/20 8:46 AM, Frank Wimberly wrote:
> > Bendito Espinoza (Spanish version) apparently did not believe in the
> transcendent God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.  Nor did he believe that men
> are constrained by the Ten Commandments*.  He was declared "herem", a very
> severe action.
> > [...]
> > Said without authoritatian motive.
>

> --