[FRIAM] Interesting "take" on political correctness and triggering

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed May 27 13:21:19 EDT 2020

Well, FWIW: https://www.oxfordstudent.com/2020/05/01/remove-hateful-material-from-mandatory-teaching-says-su-council/

I think it's pretty funny that DeDeo describes the Platonic cocktail party model of education as being (somewhat) unique to places like Oxford. We were doing that as kids down at the boat docks (many of whom smoked a LOT of dope), at Dudley's Draw and in the ΛΣΔ (aka LSD - an anti-frat) house while I was at aTm, and at Bentley's Pub with my guidance and control colleagues at Lockheed Martin. The arrogance and myopia of rich people who cloister in places like Oxford or Harvard never cease to shock me. If you've never attended a robust salon at a biker bar in East Texas or a rural pub in Northern Ireland, I highly recommend it. That these guys think this sort of thing doesn't happen in Kentucky or peri-MIT makes me think they're just outright ignorant. "Hospitality rules" vary, of course, but the consequences of violating them are real everywhere. But, of course, it's *likely* that I'm the one that's ignorant and simply have no idea what Rutt and DeDeo are talking about because I wouldn't be caught dead in an Oxford seminar (and even if they allowed me in, I'd be pretty embarrassed afterward).

DeDeo nicely steers the conversation in the right direction with the idea I floated at the last zoom meeting that everyone politely ignored. DeDeo: "One of the reasons people send their kids to Harvard is so that they act like kids who went to Harvard." It's in-group circle jerking akin to a Trump rally. [sigh]

--
☣ uǝlƃ