[FRIAM] Interdisciplinary work

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Wed May 27 17:38:31 EDT 2020

And irony.  The Knight is the less competent one.  And despite his cynicism
Sancho is practical and effective.  There is the scene in which Don Quixote
is very "presumido" arrogantly proud to be in possession of the helmet of
Mambrino, a very famous and valiant, knight.  Sancho finally says but, your
honor, don't you see it is a simple barber's basin?  Don Quixote says,
impatiently, but, Sancho, of course it looks like a barber's basin because
then envious people won't realize what it is and won't try to steal it.  Or
words to that effect.

Frank

On Wed, May 27, 2020 at 3:30 PM Jon Zingale <jonzingale at gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> you write:
> my young (30something) Spanish (Basque) colleague from Wales speaks of the
> DQ tale as if Sancho Panza is the true hero/protaganist, which was what I
> suspected in my own first reading.
>
> It is great that you mention this. I have pretty much felt the same
> way about Don Quixote and Sancho Panza. In some ways, I feel that
> *Don Quixote* was the spiritual predecessor of Voltaire's *Candide*.
> In both cases, I feel a strong sense of contempt emanating from the
> authors and focused upon the titular characters. In the case of Cervantes,
> he is quite a bit more clever. Situating Sancho Panza as the protagonist,
> Cervantes himself does not seem to have much patience for *idealistas*,
> gives us a protagonist in a submissive power role. He watches after the
> Don and is charged with an impossibly compassionate task. The whole
> affair has a wit, sarcasm, and dare I say humor.
>
> Jon

Frank Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz
Santa Fe, NM 87505