[FRIAM] ideological convergence, fringe fluidity, and the salad bar

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 2 11:42:36 EST 2020

This is somewhat orthogonal to Glen's question, but might be used as context for thinking about it.

About six years ago, I spent the summer playing anthropologist among 'militias'. 'posses', and 'separatist' ultra-far right groups in Eastern Oregon and Idaho. I did not have the time or funds to extend my research to similar groups in the Southeast U.S.

These people pose no threat. All of the groups were dominated by one quasi-charismatic bully and 4-6 sycophants and some number of "weekend followers."

Yes, they have a lot of guns: grenade launchers, mortars, fully automatic machine guns, and "next week we will be purchasing a SAM or two." (Next week obviously never comes.)

They spend a lot of time planning and scheming, but they cannot keep their mouths shut. Everyone in the community surrounding them knows all about any plans as fast as they are made. The FBI must know them as well.

The only threat - multiple repeats of Ruby Ridge.

To be a threat, in my opinion, some degree of zealotry and True Believer psychology has to be present. The only place I see this kind of mindset is among the far left.

davew