[FRIAM] Uncanny Valley was: Biden beats Trump

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Nov 11 10:44:49 EST 2020

Eric/Glen, et alia -

I have my own near stress-narcolepsy around extreme conspiracy theories,
perhaps for the reason you call out here:  to stretch to identify a
range of threats and then seem to put all of the energy into normalizing
them rather than picking the ones you might be able to address or
ameliorate or deflect or take some kind of action against.   I'm quite
capable of morbid fascination over extreme cases, as long as I leave
them out beyond some pale of my own belief.   I'm not against gaming out
worst-case scenarios on the off chance that I can cache the results for
a future time when in fact those scenarios start to loom close enough to
take seriously.

While my lily-white-male privileged ass continues to want to deny that
the raving egomaniacs we have deferred (conferred) power to (via our
current aberrant instance of representative democracy) are near some
verge of throwing off the illusions that they are doing what they do "in
our name", it is no longer an abstract speculation for me and feels
*real* enough to me to bring my to the near side of this "uncanny valley".

To be honest, I am more likely "hopping" back and forth between trying
to think through meaningful responses and trying to find indicators that
this is all show, that it is all the last throes of a melodramatic
villain flopping around on stage exhibiting his (their) spiraling
through the stages of grief.

As a seeming tangent, I just watched a handful of documentary shorts on
Ernie Chambers from NE who was responsible for the splitting and keeping
their electoral votes split, but maybe more broadly importantly,
maintaining a powerful critical perspective on the conditions of African
Americans in the Industrial Midwest as a 6 term (1971-2009) State
Senator.   Possibly of interest is that he did all of this openly as an
Atheist.   His words and actions (especially early in his career)
carried a clear hopeful ideology about equality tempered by a hard-nosed
practicality.

zzzZZZZZzzzzz,

 - Steve