[FRIAM] How soon until AI takes over polling?

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 11:21:56 EST 2020

I used to teach a course called "AI and expert systems" for management
students at Carnegie Mellon.  I remember that Mycin, a diagnosis system for
infectious diseases and one of the most famous expert systems, had some
explanation capability.  According to Wikipedia, "At the end, it [Mycin]
provided a list of possible culprit bacteria ranked from high to low based
on the probability of each diagnosis, its confidence
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confidence_interval> in each diagnosis'
probability, the reasoning behind each diagnosis..."

But after publishing a few papers in the area I left that field.  I
assumed, mistakenly it seems, that later AI implementations did the same.
Too bad.

By the way, I realize, that AI systems can't assess non-respondent bias in
the way it was done in Project Talent but perhaps there is some "machine
readable" way to do it.

---
Frank C. Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz,