[FRIAM] How soon until AI takes over polling?

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Wed Nov 11 11:43:01 EST 2020

Yes, it seems that the kind of reporting that would be natural for expert systems does not have a good reason to map to deep neural nets.  To the extent that I refer to the right architectures as “expert systems”, I think of them as having a knowledge structure dictated by the architect.  Reading out parts of it that are used short of the conclusions as an “explanation” integrates naturally into the architecture as it is.

For neural nets, the part that one engineers is a combinatorial parameter space that is both very large and very high-dimensional.  The learning loop guide the dynamics into some region in that space, but in what sense “being in that region” is a representation of regularities in the inputs is for the architect to discover, but largely not to have designed.

Thus it seems that “reporting” entails the invention of a representation that is matched both to the particular state of the neural net, which it may not have a way to survey, and to the comprehension standards of people, to which it has no way to be coupled at all.  That kind of invention seems like a meta-operation of the process on its own internal state, and a higher-order function.

I wonder if there is some crowd-sourcing protocol, by which the AI could propose representations of its internal state, and a distributed pool of users through feedback to it (kind of like Ken Stanley’s picbreeder) could represent criteria for human comprehension, by which the meta-operation would be implemented as just one more layer of reinforcement learning.  Probably end up with 70 million Fox viewers, and 70 million more Elvis fans, standing in for human comprehension.

But I don’t work in this area, and will stop now.

Eric