[FRIAM] Biden beats Trump

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Nov 11 13:06:44 EST 2020

- rec -

All very well said...
> It might be my own fantasy, but I think a majority of Americans do not
> disagree about the ends.  They would prefer an equitable society where
> none of the usual suspects biased any one person's pursuit of
> happiness in life.  They would prefer to live in a world where
> environmental disasters large and small were not lurking around every
> turn of the season.  They would prefer if the rest of the world
> enjoyed the prosperity and freedom that we have here.  But there is a
> disagreement about the means to these ends that's been a
> Democrat/Republican talking point for almost a hundred years now.
>
> I think the Democrats and Progressives need to eviscerate the Trump
> coalition by persuading the rational part of Trump's vote that it
> doesn't need hold their nose and vote for Trump to be heard.  Well, I
> guess they did have to, but they won't have to in the future.  That
> will be an interesting feat of bipartisanship if Biden can pull it
> off.  Call it the New Way Forward.

I find myself looking for ways that my own words and behaviour can
promote this outcome.   Up to but not including the "enabling the
bully/abuser" that Glen (and others) have called out.

I've already poured my support into the Dems getting this win, as
incomplete as it may feel (unless the Georgia runoffs surprise us)...
and my goal is NOT to make sure that the Democrats run the country with
an open ended mandate.  To the extent that I accept the (current?)
inevitability of a two-party country, I am hoping that the bulk of the
Left/Right issues shift their center significantly to the Left without
overtly confronting/punishing the Right.   I don't need to outlaw
Praying, Christmas or Easter or make Abortion mandatory ,Infanticide
legal or round up every private firearm.   I would like to live in a
nation where not being overtly (extravagantly?) Christian is not
required for many forms of advancement/participation, and I would like
to know that most if not all *legal* firearm owners *are* responsible in
their care and use at all levels... no more Zimmermans, Rittenhouses, or
Reinoehls and especially a drastic reduction in "death by Police
Officer" (by bullet or knee).

- sas