[FRIAM] Climate Science Denial: A rational activity built on incoherence and conspiracy theories | HotWhopper

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 09:39:31 EST 2020

At first it seemed like these are separate questions: 1) grounding of willful ignorance and 2) is there a thresholding that separates influence from coercion. But maybe they're the same question, rooted in one's capacity to reflect ... to qualify one's ignorance, including the differences between how one's self interacts with the world and how others interact with the world.

We see the grounding in micro with bullying and macro with war, e.g. a kid used to violence thinking it's no big deal to punch a kid who's not used to violence in the former, and asymmetric responses in the latter. I suppose it comes down to training. For example, how *could* Trump have known the consequences of dropping the MOAB back in 2017? In principle, the professionals he commanded would go to great lengths to *explain* the potential consequences, even though they had little data to work with themselves. Trump had the choice to be willingly ignorant or unwillingly ignorant. Let's assume Mr. Shortattentionspan did his level best to pay attention to their brief between burger bites, then pulls the trigger. Was that enough effort on his part to understand the consequences or not?

I honestly don't know. So, perhaps you're right in smearing my artificial distinction.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ