[FRIAM] Shorthands for Brain-stuff

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 15:18:37 EDT 2020

I can't speak for anyone else. But for me, the Humpty Dumpty preference is for non-reduction, the idea that a hierarchy of languages (physics, chemistry, biology, psychology, sociology) is to some extent *real* and not merely convenient placeholders for ignorance and uncertainty.

I like to pretend that I'm agnostic to whether or not such layering is real. But my complexity ≠ complicatedness homunculus faces, every day, progress by the reductionists in dismantling some "higher order" language. So, I think it's Fine and Good to *entertain* the idea of fully closed logical abstraction floors and ceilings. But I think it's shaky metaphysics to rely on them.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ