[FRIAM] Shorthands for Brain-stuff

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 17:02:14 EDT 2020

"It can’t be necessary to adopt what amounts to a religion in order to
function with one another."

Maybe not a religion, but perhaps to recognize/engage one's beliefs relative
to another's beliefs?

"In many cases, one would have to know the complete history of a
person--from his childhood family and environment to whether someone gave
him the finger for no apparent reason earlier in the day--to know how he is
going react to any particular triggering event."

What about classes? Can't we get fine approximations via apt
categorizations? I can witness how others, that are similar to this
individual, behaved in the past.

"So, I think it's Fine and Good to *entertain* the idea of fully closed
logical abstraction floors and ceilings. But I think it's shaky metaphysics
to rely on them."

Agreed. Lately, I have been thinking a lot about openness on the left hand
and closedness on the right. There is no adapting to an ever-changing world
when we are closed, but at least we can write global theorems. When we are
open, we are open to catastrophe, and all progress to rectify discrepancies
between model and experience is inherently local.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/