[FRIAM] Political compass teest

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 13:04:12 EDT 2020

It is. But I had the same experience Steve had. It's why I completely stopped calling myself libertarian [⛧]. The most concrete experience was of a friend's dad, who is seriously *hard* right, believes he made himself, thinks the majority of people he meets are stupid, threatens to violently beat trans people up if they use the wrong bathroom in front of him, thinks pot smokers will quickly become heroin users, etc. We were standing in our new work space there in Portland and discussing the "green building" materials used and he suddenly exclaims "I'm more libertarian." I was shocked and seriously began questioning the meanings of words. 8^D I mean, I've always questioned the meaning of words. But that literally shocked me. I was speechless for the rest of their visit to the work space.

[⛧] I'd begun backing off the term a few years earlier when my boss accused me of being an anarchist. I limply defended the fact that I believe in *some* government, just a more dynamic government. But my limp defense just confused him. By "anarchist", he means "anarcho-capitalist" ... like all the thin techies in silly valley. He owns property in a "libertarian" gated community in the Sierra Nevada mountains. [sigh]

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ