[FRIAM] SIR+HD model in JavaScript + Herd Immunity question.

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Oct 14 12:08:56 EDT 2020

Cody -

Thanks for the nod... though I'm less confident in this prediction today
than I was back in April... though it is interesting to be reminded of
what I was thinking (or at least saying) back then!

I think there is a lot more interstate mixing than I imagined would
result.  The mass attendance at Sturgis is a strong example of
gather/scatter with no significant contact-tracing...   the few
attendees in my larger circle only report: "I was there all week and
there were no outbreaks while I was there... see!  I tole'ya it was a
Democrat Hoax!".    I think the "return to college" is maybe providing
some mixing as well, though I think it is better than the post Spring
Break/Mardi Gras 2020 moments.

I haven't followed up enough on the modeling referenced back then to
have even the most general idea of how significant the differing implied
levels of herd-immunity might be.   I remember when some of the early
broad testing (e.g. whole communities) began and there was evidence of
more widespread (asymptomatic) infection (via anti-body detection) and I
thought we might actually be able to establish a meaningful level of
"herd immunity".    Also the "experiment" that is Sweden seems somewhat
ambiguous...

I'm wondering if anyone here with more hands-on experience with network
transmission models has thoughts/opinions/ideas on what "herd immunity"
means in the context of shifting the shifting valencies as individuals
limit the number (and significance) of interactions with others.   It
seems that by now, there must be some studies/models that try to address
that.   Also the implication of "superspreader" events, and what
actually characterizes such?

- Steve