[FRIAM] Dennett on agency

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 23:35:13 EDT 2020

"I intend to check the mail in a few minutes.  I am not doing it now.
Nobody else knows of my plan until you read this.  Why can't I validly say
that I have that intention?"

You CAN say that you have that intention. The Big Questions are 1) To what
are you referring when you say that. 2) Could you be in error regarding the
thing being referred to?

Once we work out the answer to Question 1 we will, Nick and others of his
ilk would assert, find that it would be more grammatically clean to not use
the word "have", because that implies a thing that can be possessed. I *have
*a bank account; I *do *my morning exercises. Of course, some other
languages don't distinguish those verbs in exactly the way English tends
to... and English varies from place to place... so your mileage may vary.
For example, under some circumstances "I am going to have tea" could be
synonymous with "I am going to do high-tea."

At any rate, some of us would assert that when you say "I intend to check
the mail in a few minutes" you are predicting/asserting things you will do
in the future (barring some dramatic change in circumstances) and that you
are an imperfect predictor of such things. To reify that
pattern-of-future-behavior as a thing you "have" now is, at the least, some
sort of category error.

And, of course, if you aren't trying to do philosophy of psychology or
scientific psychology, then your using vernacular phrasing is no worse than
similar things that people in other sciences might object to. For example,
you can find physicists who will get snippy over whether it is correct to
say that you add cold to something (vs. take away heating), but, like, if
it's a cooking show or a casual conversation, it really doesn't matter
much.
<echarles at american.edu>