[FRIAM] The last bookstore

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Sat Sep 5 11:13:47 EDT 2020

I first visited Powell's the summer they opened in Portland.  Old man
Powell gave me work cleaning up another property he owned.

Their current location was long notable for the regularly scheduled reek of
the Blitz-Weinhard brewery located on the block to the west, but it's since
been gentrified.

The original Powell's is in Hyde Park, near the University of Chicago, it
was a let down when I finally got there.

But The Seminary Coop, https://www.semcoop.com/, is a must visit in
Chicago.  Check out the Front Table on their website.

-- rec --