[FRIAM] The last bookstore

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Sep 5 13:54:48 EDT 2020

That is a cool anecdote Roger...  and I thank you for your own
moving-book-sale when you left Santa Fe (10 years ago now???) and I
picked up a boxfull of books I didn't need (but really appreciated anyway).

Did anyone (else) visit McMurtry's "bookstore town" in Archer City
TX?    I've been there several times, the first while he was standing it
up (1998?) and then when he was shrinking it back to a few buildings
2012?.   At it's heydey I remember it being at least a half-dozen old
mainstreet shopfronts filled to the gills with books he was collecting
by auction from other bookstores closing down at the time.    When I was
there the first couple of times, the secondary and tertiary buildings
were not even manned, it was on the honor system to browse the town and
bring your finds to the main building where they would price them and
send you on your way with a smile.   Larry himself was usually in the
building, had an affect that he was not interested in being engaged by
fans (of which I am only slightly anyway) but would jump right in if
there was a legitimate question about a book or a pricing ambiguity.
The website very much understates their rich history.   I visited the
Georgetown "original" a few times in the 90s... but was underwhelmed (a
tiny garret upstairs, almost unmarked).

https://www.bookedupac.com/

Archer City was Larry's hometown and the setting of a number of
contemporary (not old west) novels, including the most famous
made-into-a-movie  "The Last Picture Show" where Jeff Bridges and Cybil
Sheppard pretty much got their start in acting as teenage hearthrobs in
a dying Texas Oil Town in the 60's.

Tying back to your own (Jochen) German roots, I highly recommend his
memoiresque book: Walter_Benjamin_at_the_Dairy_Queen
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52226.Walter_Benjamin_at_the_Dairy_Queen>

- Steve