[FRIAM] OFFLINE:Today's Sermon:: a minor awokening

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Sep 5 21:47:37 EDT 2020

Frank -

I see your case for the Constitution-as-superego.   I guess I was
thinking more in the social-cultural sense than the political.   When we
were a predominantly religious (e.g. Christian) culture, perhaps it was
the various "Good Books" and the church leadership(s)...
Priests/Pastors/Rabbis/Imams and such?

In spite of *many* giving lip service both to Constitution and Good
Books and 10point Tablets, and Golden Rules, it feels like the true
operating principles are at least similarly NeoDarwinism (of which I
think Stephen and Dave have both spoken against) and NeoLIberalism
(which many speak against, notably Glen here I think)  and .

But these are more like abstractions and institutions rather than
dynamic-coherence-maintaining processes which is how I apprehend the id,
ego, superego to be?  While the Constitution is nominally a "living
document" (with amendments allowed)... the Good Book(s) are generally
not allowed to be revised (albeit continued revelations seem to be
common such as via Joseph Smith, David Karesh, a multitude of Yogis,
etc.)   I suppose that in some sense these artifacts encode/reflect the
superego, I'm maybe looking for something more "organic".   Any current
existing *governing body* would seem to be a somewhat more mutable
super-ego, and the pop-culture "equivalent" might be what?

- Steve