[FRIAM] flu versus COVID

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Sep 13 11:20:57 EDT 2020

Dave -

I am trying to take your disclaimer at face value:

    /Just observations, not aspirations nor convictions. /

but there is something about your analysis of who will fight and who
will flight that seems inverted:

	A) If Biden wins: flight will become the majority response of the losing side. Massive influx of people to what Brigham Young envisioned as the "State of Deseret." Home and self defense coupled with preparation to "repel" the invading feds will be cultural themes of the day.

	B) If Trump wins: fight will become the majority response of the losing side. Violence in the streets, mostly focused against police, but also against anyone and anything deemed to be "pro Trump" in any vestige. All the pomp and pageantry of a revolution, but without a cause and lacking any kind of purpose.

I don't have Glen's skill at proper Steelman construction, so what I
present here is probably an amalgam of straw and steel...

    A) I see no strong evidence of the conservative/right being prone to
    "flight".... "hunker down" maybe, but not "flight".   The Donald has
    been *very* proud and out loud to list off "his people", the "strong
    people"...  law enforcement, military, farmers, ranchers,
    construction workers, and aping Putin, "the bikers".   He touts the
    second amendment with vigor while using the first amendment as a
    shield of convenience... which does not sound a bit like "flight".
    Most of his supporters I know personally have at least a little more
    swagger and bluster and implied intimidation than their
    counterparts...   they show no shame around gerrymandering, voter
    suppression (playing "poll observer" while sporting assault-style
    weapons?), and celebrating a thin win via electoral college vs
    popular vote as a "Mandate" (in 2000 and 2016).  None of this reads
    to me as the ingredients for "flight" unless this is all bluff?

    As to flooding Deseret (Utah and surrounds all the way to the
    Canadian border through Idaho and bits of Eastern OR, Western CO and
    northern AZ?)...  I can't imagine the folks already there welcoming
    more than their "friends and family" and maybe a handful of *their*
    friends and family, but only as long as they bring more dry goods
    and ammo than average?

    B) Traditionally I see very little propensity for violence among the
    /Liberal Elite/ and /Liberal Snowflakes /who "hate Trump"... I have
    heard over the decades (starting with the 2000 debacle?) plenty more
    liberals threatening to "move to Canada" as a response to what they
    see (for pretty good reason) as an injustice and an
    aberration/undermining of Democracy, than Conservatives...  (though
    I have a few Righty friends who have created hidey-holes in third
    world countries where they can hoard their food and guns in the
    event of an Apocalypse).

    The social unrest whose sharp tip has included direct
    confrontatation of Law Enforcement reflects the distance to which
    people have been pushed into a corner.    Compare a Waco or Ruby
    Ridge or similar to the hundreds of police-brutality (unto murder)
    cases that BLM is in reaction to.   I was shocked by the *singular*
    shooting of a Right Winger in Oregon by a Left winger, and not at
    all surprised when the Left Winger got shot dead during apprehension
    while the *several* Right-Wing militia types who shot protestors
    armed with at most, a skateboard, were taken very gently and in some
    cases allowed to walk away.  Maybe your embedding in a
    violent/reactionary leftist movement in the '60s informs you more to
    the likelihood or nature of what a leftist reaction might look
    like.  I think it is probably *good* that my gun-nut friends with
    MAGA hats (nearly always screwed on way too tight) might be a
    little afraid that those they would like to intimidate with violence
    or the threat of it might have their own venomous bite if cornered.

Maybe a virulent mass uprising by the Left (or to me "center") if Trump
and his cronies mangle the election into something unrecognizeable is
aspirational on my part... but I can't think of a single Righty friend
or acquaintance of mine who doesn't own a gun or 10 and way too much
ammunition for anything but a zombie apocalypse, and has made
intimations that they are itching to use them.   This is VERY rare in my
righty friends... almost to nil.

- Steve