[FRIAM] hot time in town tonight

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sun Sep 20 13:52:43 EDT 2020

Steve,

You are probably the only person on the list who has read the Brunner novel and knows Benny. He definitely "enjoys" his time tripping and watching the news. I definitely enjoy reading dystopian novels or watching dystopian movies (BladeRunner) and there is an analog when I watch the world fall apart, but it is a very "distant" / "disassociated" kind of enjoyment. I like and enjoy interesting complex things  I would hate a heaven that consisted of endless bliss and singing hosannas.

Wouldst that things be different? Yes. Intervention possible? Yes, but of a specific kind. Is the important question individual vesus social? No.

I would agree with Marcus, if I read his response correctly, that cultural efflorescence and apocalyptic collapse are not mutually exclusive. In fact, in my opinion, the last is the only means for achieving the first.

I am reminded of an Erma Bombeck title: "The Grass is Always Greener Above the Septic Tank." Life flourishes in near chaos, the decadent, the near chaotic. The Los Angeles of Bladerunner or the budayeen of George Alex Effinger's novels.

I hear people around me referring to the Burning of California, COVID, Trumpism, etc. etc. as "signs of the endtimes." To me they are necessary, if unfortunate, preconditions for rebirth, for efflorescence. And that rebirth will be what it will, not something that can be planned and managed, however smart and well intentioned we might, collectively, be.

dave west

>>> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/

>>> 12 % of registered Democrats bought guns this period

>>> 19% of Republicans

>>> 22% of those ages 18-29

>>> 21% Black

>>> 32% Union Members

>>> 19% Urbanites

>>> 19% of those earning over $200K/yr

>>> 1.8 million guns sold in July alone

>>> more than 423 million fire arms owned by civilians

>>> 18 million AR-15 in circulation *(personal comment — probably just as many illegal full auto kits)*

>>> gun to people ration 5/3

>>> That's the gasoline. RGB replacement will be the spark.

>>> davew