[FRIAM] hot time in town tonight

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Sep 22 22:08:23 EDT 2020

For those here fascinated by the impending (or not) Apocalypto (Mel
Gibson), Jackpot (William Gibson), Rapture (Evangelicals) or Redux
Deseret (Dave West), I submit the following novel series by a very
prolific Santa Fe Author, S.M. Stirling, called "the Emberverse"  set in
the days and decades after an abrupt shift in one or more physical
constants yielding a world where most concentrated-energy systems no
longer work,  Electricity, Internal Combustion, Steam power, Explosives,
etc. all just "fizzle", and the result is a Utopian/Dystopian world
dropped into feudalism with a backdrop of high-functioning
self-organized societies around Pagan/Wiccan principles.

I met Stirling in 1998, soon after he moved here and quite a while
before he started this particular series, but he was already quite
prolific and quite impressive in his works...  with acute attention to
detail whether it be scientific, historical, political or
sociological.   I used to see him writing on a laptop at a table in
Joe's Dining at the Y of Rodeo/Zia, but never interrupted him as I think
he was in his "zone"...   I'm guessing Joe gave him a bottomless cup...
this was usually mid-late mornings for me... or call it early lunch.

I have no limit to my capacity for morbid fascination, and Stirling's
works feed that well, though I will admit to dropping off reading his
Emberverse after maybe three novels?  There may be as many as 8?

You gotta love William Gibson's term: "Jackpot" described from a
somewhat distant future (maybe 2100 or later?) looking back at "these
times we are in"  with some perspective of hindsight.   He describes
this "Jackpot" as something of a "Slow Cooked Apocalypse"
<https://thequietus.com/articles/28340-william-gibson-agency-interview>
.   This link (author Robert Berry) introduced me to a mid-century
movement attributed as a form of Anarchism, referred to as Situationism
or Situationists
<https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/jan-d-matthews-an-introduction-to-the-situationists#:~:text=The%20Situationist%20International%20(1957%E2%80%931972,and%20worker%20revolts%20in%20France.>.
I'll defer to Glen's quicker, more focused mind, and quiver full of
Anarchist tropes and ideas as to whether these Situationists in any way
correlate with his offered "Anarchic Syndicalism", but what little I
have investigated suggested there is a shared rhyme scheme at the least?

- Steve