[FRIAM] hot time in town tonight

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Tue Sep 22 22:32:21 EDT 2020

I think linear/affine types as in Rust are cool.  For one thing, they seem plausible for physical analogues to computation, like your infinitely-long expressions.  In a biochemical system it often wouldn't make sense to `share' a variable across several expressions.   A `physical' function would consume its inputs.   Similarly linear types are like the no-cloning theorem for quantum states.  It's a small change for a person used to writing functional programs to get in the habit of using linear types.   Similar to Swarm's notion of switching phases, but where the switching of the method sets is understood by the compiler and can be enforced.  Even besides the physical intuition, linear types provide a low-overhead way to manage memory, like is the norm for complex stack-allocated objects in C++.