[FRIAM] why some people hate cops

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Sep 24 19:47:04 EDT 2020

Nick sez-

> Well, I hate people who hate.

I am intolerant only of the intolerant and I have nothing to hate but
hate itself!

> Hating something, particularly any category as broad as “religious
> people”, is like putting your own eyes out and blaming the darkness.

I was confronted some time back with the "idea" that liberals were
self-loathing...  which put me off some, and while I am not exactly
liberal, or even progressive I am more sympathetic and aligned with
those who self-identify as such than, for example, their converse (kka
Conservatives?).     I've slowly come to an ideation about this which is
that there is something in common between having a
liberal/progressive/empathic? view of the world and being (at least
somewhat) self-questioning which (as Nick illustrates) can spiral into
something *like* self-loathing (at least from the outside).   I think
this is one of the primary mechanisms that "whomever-fits-the-shoe" use
to "own liberals" as they so proudly proclaim... if they can twist
someone into questioning/resenting/nay...*hating* themselves at any
level, then they feel like they "gotcha!".

> I hate myself when I hate.  But I think the hatred described here is
> mostly rhetorical.

I took Marcus statement to be primarily hyperbolic with a dash of
rhetoric...  or vice-versa?   I also took Stephen's strong statement
against it as a primarily rhetorical mode of bringing focus to the topic
I think he really wants to talk about... which I can't define myself,
but has something to do with trying to understand "the Sacred", using
the language/perspective of Science.   Not making Science into a
Religion (as Dave might think we do here) nor *explaining* or *proving*
the existence of God/Heaven/Grace, etc.  with Science, but acknowledging
a common (possibly exhaustively persuasive) sense that humans (conscious
beings?) have of there being things which are transcendent, or sacred or
somehow within our apprehension but beyond our articulation?    Science
is "designed" to chip away at the mysteries... pin them down and define
them, and chip away at their edges, and occasionally do broad sweeps to
clear away the debris from that, but does not truly pretend to sweep all
questions away for all times, or even be able to, though
Russell/Whitehead thought they had done that with Mathematics until Kurt
Godel came along and swept *that* misapprehension away!

> There is a way of talking on FRIAM that involves using hyperbole with
> a wink, and, given that 80 percent of Americans are more or less
> religious, I think this is an example.  It’s almost equivalent to
> saying, “I hate people,” which I can complete understand, but wouldn’t
> admit to out loud.  Actually,  I don’t think there are a lot of haters
> in this group.
>

> I think we are at our best as a group when we talk about things we (1)
> care about, (2) on which we have some [expert?} experience to bring to
> bear, and on which our minds are at least slightly ajar.    I do wish
> complexity would rear its ugly head more often in our discussions, but
> I would guess we have drifted away from it both in caring and in
> knowledge, so, if we tried to get a discussion going, it would be like
> burping up last night’s /Famiglia Cribari. /*/_µ_/*
>

> Nick
>
> *µ  For those of you who are under 80, Famiglia Cribari was the
> graduate student wine of choice in the 60’s.  You bought it in jugs.
> If you brought a whole jug to a pot luck, you were forgiven for not
> bringing any food.  *

Ah... the Boone's Farm or Mad Dog 20/20 of Boomers and perhaps Xr's
alike?  Or for the hipsters, maybe just a 12 of PBR...

- Steve   *
*