[FRIAM] God in Science and Religion (was Re: why some people hate cops)

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Sep 25 07:42:02 EDT 2020

I don’t, for example, recognize quantum mechanics as truth.  If it turns out there is a convincing explanation why nature has to be this way, then it has to be this way and the “divine” has been cornered.   If nature can be some other way, in regimes that are hard for today’s technology to observe, then those are interesting qualifications or alternative models.   It’s all just provisional.

But all of these models are essentially unrelated to doctrines that humans have invented as a way to regulate group behavior and to exercise power.

A fun quote from my statistical mechanics text:

  The kinetic theory of gases came to be the next conceptual step.  Among pioneers in this discipline one counts several unrecognized geniuses, such as J.J. Waterston who – thanks to Lord Rayleigh – received posthumous honors from the very same Royal Society that had steadfastly refused to publish his works during his lifetime.  Ludwig Boltzmann committed suicide on September 5, 1906 depressed – it is said – by the utter rejection of his atomistic theory by such colleagues as Mach and Ostwald.  Paul Ehrenfest, another great innovator, died by his own hand in 1933.  Among 20th century scientists in this field, a sizable number of have met equally untimely ends.  So “now”, (here we quote from a well-known popular text[1] “it is our turn to study statistical mechanics”.

[1] D.H. Goodstein, States of Matter, Dover, New York, 1985