[FRIAM] God in Science and Religion (was Re: why some people hate cops)

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Fri Sep 25 12:41:14 EDT 2020

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 5:42 AM Marcus Daniels <marcus at snoutfarm.com> wrote:

> I don’t, for example, recognize quantum mechanics as truth.  If it turns
> out there is a convincing explanation why nature has to be this way, then
> it has to be this way and the “divine” has been cornered.   If nature can
> be some other way, in regimes that are hard for today’s technology to
> observe, then those are interesting qualifications or alternative models.
>  It’s all just provisional.

I brought up Planck's views for two reasons:

   - His views on religion and his rejection of its foundation of miracle
   and superstition
   - His challenge to the most sophisticated of scientists with
   "generalized world views" that an understanding/model of "God" is a worthy
   goal for a scientist.

While I think Action and Bidirectional Path Tracing in Dual Fields is a
potential model (Glen and Jon can unpack that in a steel man) I don't want
to get distracted by the "How" the synthesis might happen. To borrow from
Eric Smith in the Jim Rutt Podcast
<https://jimruttshow.blubrry.net/the-jim-rutt-show-transcripts/transcript-of-episode-40-eric-smith-on-the-physics-of-living-systems/>:
"we shouldn’t try to spin scenarios at this point".

And for full disclosure, upon reflection, my post was mostly targeted at
Eric Smith after I saw his comment on Marcus's post.

First was to use Marcus's post as a reiteration of evidence to Eric the
deep disdain and hatred many in Science have for Religion which we've
talked about in the past and second to potentially engage Eric as one of
the few scientists I know with a sufficient "generalized world view" to see
the most basic patterns in Science and attempt a synthesis. If not leading
the synthesis, at least playing bullshit detector and helping in pointing
out potential formalizations.

FWIW,  Eric's close colleague, the late Harold Morowitz, expressed similar
views as Max Planck.
     see:
https://www.amazon.com/Cosmic-Joy-Local-Pain-Scientist/dp/0684184435

I know Eric is resistant at the value or even the worthiness of this
pursuit. I put this out as a public challenge to Eric and he can decline.
I think it could be one of the greatest scientific contributions of our
time.

To Marcus, Glen and Jon, I will try to refrain from casting pearls ;-p
(meant in humor)

-Stephen