[FRIAM] my data is bigger

Roger Frye frye.roger at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 10:50:29 EDT 2020

The article ends with a damning argument about FRIAM:

On one level, it’s ironic to find a philosopher—a professional
talker—arguing that science was born when philosophical talk was exiled to
the pub. On another, it makes sense that a philosopher would be attuned to
the power of how we talk and argue.

Along the way, cites a war as the reason people started to believe in
scientific experiment over idealistic theories and belief. I doubt that it
is as simple as this:

Why did the iron rule emerge when it did? Strevens takes us back to the
Thirty Years’ War, which concluded with the Peace of Westphalia, in 1648.
The war weakened religious loyalties and strengthened national ones.
Afterward, he writes, what mattered most “was that you were English or
French”; whether you were Anglican or Catholic became “your private
concern.” Two regimes arose: in the spiritual realm, the will of God held
sway, while in the civic one the decrees of the state were paramount. As
Isaac Newton wrote, “The laws of God & the laws of man are to be kept
distinct.” These new, “nonoverlapping spheres of obligation,” Strevens
argues, were what made it possible to imagine the iron rule. The rule
simply proposed the creation of a third sphere: in addition to God and
state, there would now be science.