[FRIAM] Free Will in the Atlantic

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 14:42:29 EDT 2021

Yeah, OK. I sympathize. But language doesn't work that way. There is a "thing" we call "free will". If the name bothers you so much, call it pooba or whatever. Who cares what we call it? We can all point at it ... like porn or being alive. So, if we can all point at something, then *what* are we pointing at? I couldn't care less about telling people who believe in crystal powers, or acupuncture, or God that they're wrong. But I do care to find out what they're pointing at when they use those words ... even if they don't understand what they're pointing at.

Pieter's assertion that we'll eventually grow things that exhibit what we call "free will" or pooba, is the right attitude. And being about to construct it (even if with an opaque algorithm) is the minimum requirement for understanding it (following Feynman's "What I can't create, I don't understand.").

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ