[FRIAM] Dancing Robots

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Apr 3 12:46:44 EDT 2021

The "dancing" robots certainly are compelling to view, though I can see
why Gary asked if it was real or memorex (CGI)... there was enough
uncanny valley going on in their moves to make it clear that they were
following a prescribed choreography.   The miniscule detail in the dance
moves is what I *think* makes it impressive.   I am doubting that the
proportions and range of motion/etc of the robotic humanoids is as close
to humans' as implied by the constraints (in software, in choreography)
imposed.

I also wonder how much of this is essentially driven by something like
MoCap that is then tweaked to match the dynamical performance
envelope/constraints of the robot simulacrum?   Or by derivation, ws
ther some kind of machine learning going on on a *suite* of human MoCap
data sets.   Or is there a very capable cyber-choreographer who
implicitly understands the robot's "coupled impedance elements" in a way
that allows them to hack/hint/nuance the instructions down to this level
of performance?

Are these class of robots targeted for mission-spec autonomy or are they
more targeted to default to being Waldos with some self-driving constraints?

I haven't tracked whether the Laban Notation movement has actually been
useful to extend into robotic-motion...  it starts to seem relevant once
humanoid Robots are presented dancing human-dances.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laban_movement_analysis

The "impressive illusion" is that these Robots are responding to the
music itself and to one another (couples dancing) in  a way that seems
highly doubtful.   They appear to be merely very artful puppets with
wireless "strings".    No small feat, bringing them to this point, but
the most interesting/impressive aspects are likely careful bit-chiseling
on the instruction sets.