[FRIAM] Free Willy in the Atlantic

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Apr 5 11:05:45 EDT 2021

Glen -

Excellent!   I remember your book, and I think I remember reading about
MegaHAL when you might have shared these details when last this
discussion came up.

I was impressed when first I met some researchers who were doing things
as simple as N-gram analysis in the early 90s and then maybe 10 years
ago I started noticing chatterbots participating in fora with an opaque
enough style as to get away with effectively trolling some of the more
naive members of those fora.  As the  Wikipedia article describes MegHAL
as being "primitive" and "old technology" I suspect that if it were
harnessed up to the list in realtime it might provide a credible
facsimile of some of our posts/threads, maybe most likely my own which
have been described as  "dookie splatter" and what I think lead
Strangelove to caricature me as "Smithereens - flies off in all
directions at once"

Your self-discipline in keeping MegHALs output "caricaturing" some of us
here to yourself is admirable.   I think some of us would find it
entertaining to "stare into a funhouse mirror at ourselves" but such
things are usually less painful in private than in front of a crowd!
Such might be tolerable without overt identification of the
participants.   If we couldn't recognize ourselves in the chatterbots'
chatter, I'd be surprised.   Fiction writers often claim that even when
they work hard to avoid using anyone they know as prototypes for their
characters or scenes, they still get an uproar from friends and family
who are just sure they are one character or another.

"Your opinion of me is none of my business" would apply even to
chatterbots I suppose...

- Steve