[FRIAM] Free Will in the Atlantic

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon Apr 5 11:37:05 EDT 2021

The conversation can be about anything, but the subject line still references free will.   To those that say that free will makes sense once metaphysics can be specified, please specify a metaphysics where propositions can, well, at least be quantified in their truthiness and explain how it could happen.   Don't just lob back the tiresome definition of "selecting from a set of options" or other things that can be trivially implemented on a deterministic system and do not get over the bar to address the philosophically significant issue of whether we can really have control or not.

I see no reason to think quantum computers (or analog computers) could have free will, without making any claims about locality.   It still will require an apologist that tries to preserve the dignity of the dualist.  Dignity which they very much do not deserve.