[FRIAM] Free Will in the Atlantic

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 15:26:22 EDT 2021

/"Some boundaries are harder to delineate than others."/
In an effort, along the same lines as  my response to your generating
functions from earlier
<http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/Free-Will-in-the-Atlantic-td7601346i60.html#a7601433>
, I will try to flesh out the two points:
Assumption: All may be random. The search for the generating function is a
search through a space whose geometric properties (smoothness, continuity,
genus) we simply do not know. As we perform our descent, we do not know
whether all tangents are well defined nor how successive approximations
remain localized in the function space.
1. things being some other way.
If things /could/ be some other way, then we would need a deterministic
mechanism for how that other way could be. That is, the space of all
possible worlds without /this/ world (along with all relationships between)
is fiction.
2. the "same" thing repeating.
Now, to arrive at objects, abstracted from the totality, we need measures
that converge for all observables today and all observables tomorrow. We
need a uniquely determined (up to isomorphism) representation accounting for
whatever things the world provides. We attempt to do this all of the time,
and in theory, since the beginnings of differentiation at all. I guess I am
arguing that without true periodicity, and especially with the possibility
of randomness, no categories nor their objects are promised to pan out. It
is akin to the sleight of hand that is performed whenever we truncate an
aperiodic signal so as to analyze the spectrum of a source
But ultimately, this argument isn't really in line with my concerns anyhow.
/Free will/ appears to me to be in false opposition with /determinism/.
Determinism is an organ that allows us to probe the meaning of randomness
but makes no real claim to will nor the actual state of affairs. I should
probably back off, as I am not entirely sure if I am still making sense,
even to me. Ah, the void-abyss-echo chamber.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/