[FRIAM] Free Will in the Atlantic

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon Apr 5 16:36:44 EDT 2021

Jon writes:

< Assumption: All may be random. The search for the generating function is a search through a space whose geometric properties (smoothness, continuity, genus) we simply do not know. As we perform our descent, we do not know whether all tangents are well defined nor how successive approximations remain localized in the function space. >

In a world that has no regularities at all, there is no benefit in trying to find system-level mappings between action and reaction because will just be different every time.    Our friend Will is tasked with navigating this impossible space, but it is impossible as defined?   If there are some regularities, conditional probabilities that can be tabulated, then  Will can start to play the odds by learning the distributions that are observed together with different trajectories that may become evident as it steps into to the game.    Maybe there are hidden variables that explain the apparently random generators?  For example, ought there not be some prior state that can explain why the Will stepped into this game in the first place?   Or do we assert, as the Free Will contingent do, that Will is above the fray?

The conditional probabilities that are tabulated do not have to represent a theory nor have to imply that is the only world that could exist.   Perhaps we can pull out of metaphysical toolbox a multiverse?   How can Will deploy the multiverse to gain itself the Freedom it longs for?   Perhaps it uses it to imagine how bad scenarios could play out?    But isn't this just a fancy kind of lookahead?   Something that one could do with a big enough parallel computer and complex enough simulation?  Is every possible world progressing or do we just spawn that off for our canonical Will in one particular thread of execution?    Who decides which threads of execution get folded up and put away?   How do they chat about this?  They can't see one another.
Marcus