[FRIAM] Free Will in the Atlantic

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Apr 5 16:07:17 EDT 2021

Marcus -

> I think the least plausible of these is the think-yourself-happy
> approach.   If it always worked, that would be Free Will.  Mind over
> matter.

This is quite familiar to my own operational logic.   I tend toward
trick-yourself-happy with things like "I can always procrastinate later"
to break a procrastination rut for example.  I'm experimenting (without
any controls or even a plan) on my (struggling) 26 year old nephew by
offering him a series of "trick-yourself-out-of-unhappy-or-inaction"
tricks that I have gathered (by bouncing through a life).  So far, his
resistance (my Sister's family's classic I-cant-because) has held firm,
but I trust some of the seeds of my cult-deprogramming are getting
through even if they haven't sprouted yet.   I follow what I take to be
a stylization of Glen's (likely?) prescription which is to change my
habits and my internal state will follow (with some exponential moving
average?).  A friend used to call this "acting as if".

> I don’t see machines all the way down and panconsciousness at odds.
> Open source software.

I suppose the question begged by ORCH-AR (Penrose-Hameroff) and Poised
Realm (Kauffman)  or Neuronal Superposition (Pearce hisself) and others
is whether "all the way down is qualitatively different for sufficiently
large values of 'down' ? " at which point something
magical/mystical/mythical happens and "viola!" Consciousness!

And you are probably much better able to explain why a "quantum machine"
is qualitatively different (or not) than a classical machine?