[FRIAM] Free Will in the Atlantic

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 16:12:56 EDT 2021

Late to the party... but jumping in...

"There is a "thing" we call "free will". If the name bothers you so much,
call it pooba or whatever. Who cares what we call it? We can all point at
it ... like porn or being alive. So, if we can all point at something, then
*what* are we pointing at?"
<echarles at american.edu>

Yes, exactly! The way to determine what "free will" *is*, is to take
seriously the pointing, examine what is there, re-check with the pointers
as needed, and thereby come up with a *description* of what similar between
the situations being pointed at. And, when we examine the pointing, we will
find that people are not pointing at things that cannot be detect, or that
do not exist; we will find people pointing to complex (to specify) events,
featuring various arrangements of stuff. "Free will" is a thing we
sometimes see some meatbags do, under particular circumstances,
contextualized in various ways.

Does it have to be "meat" bags specifically? That's not an abstract
metaphysical question to be found by leaning back in our armchairs, it is
an empirical question, to be answered by systematically querying the
pointing.

Once we have the *description*, whatever it may turn out to be, then we can
start trying to explain "free will" using all the types of *explanations*
people available to us (Aristotle or Tinbergen's 4 "whys" or any other
system of explanation you may wish to invoke). But until we know *what *we
are trying to explain, groping at explanations is premature.