[FRIAM] Hybrid cars

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Apr 6 13:18:55 EDT 2021

On 4/6/21 8:41 AM, Marcus Daniels wrote:

> https://www.losalamosnm.us/government/departments/utilities/energy_resources
> <https://www.losalamosnm.us/government/departments/utilities/energy_resources>
>

> I understand there are periods where the county can’t draw all of
> their available power and has excess.   I thought for sure the way to
> spend that was with on-demand SHA256 miners.   I convinced no one.

My CoOp (Jemez Valley Coop) used to promote (and sell at a discount)
electric resistance heaters with a huge masonry mass built in as an
incentive to get people to take time-of-day metering... the idea was to
build up a big ole store of thermal energy during the nighttime (when it
is also coldest) that would then seep back into the house during the
high-demand daytime.    A fair stopgap if your house was built without
insulation and with all-electric heating (think 1960s when power was
cheap and economies of scale suggested that more was always better).

I use (sparingly) a similar distant cousin resistive oil-filled electric
heater to keep my bathroom (shadiest corner, least solar gain, etc) of
the house at a welcoming temp for guests.   If I were more diligent (and
clever) I'd have a cryptocurrency rack in my laundry room with
water-cooling and the radiator in the bathroom.  It might pay for the
energy in crypto output and give me "free heat".   Now I just need to
arrange for it to give me "free coolth" in the summer?   I'm working on it.

I hear that cryptocurrency (Proof Of Work) mining is at best a
break-even with power cost in most places, but a place like the remote
ghost town at the end of a Fjord in BC that has it's own hydroelectric
plant that *once* fed a paper mill, but shut down when the endless
tracts of trees they were cutting down ended, seems to be the perfect
place to churn negentropy out like candy in Willie Wonka World?

What is a cryptocurrency wallet filled with?  Extremely low-entropy
information?   Is there any way to exploit it except by running it
through *yet more* heat-generating/dissipating systems?   Surely there
is a free lunch in there somewhere?  Libertarians like to mutter
TANNSTAFL but I think it is more the case that *my* free lunch is
someone else's "gone hungry" day.   Synergy needs to be  *real* not just
obscured externalities and exported waste/pollution and constant
expansion into new frontiers to exploit?  Which is why I acknowledge
that my Volt, when charged from the grid is "a coal burner".

- Steve