[FRIAM] lockdowns

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 01:32:33 EDT 2021

Now we're talking! Other Eric's #4 is the good one to chew on!

The main points/questions are:

   - The job of a *public* health official requires that they not aim their
   comments at really smart people (who will probably make good decisions
   anyway), and instead they must aim their comments at normal schlubs.
   - Would they be justified in saying something patently untrue if that
   will create a net benefit? (For example, if keeping masks available to
   healthcare workers would decrease the spread more than having 10% of the
   population hoard masks, are you justified in publicly stating that people
   won't benefit from buying masks?)
   - If we all agree that the best option is a super-short hyper-accurate
   message, but there isn't time or wits sufficient for that, does it make
   sense to go with a message that is mostly-right and it's short?

I disagree with...

   - the assertion that most (or all) broad strokes will cause harm in this
   particular case (but it is a point I normally agree with). In the starting
   point for this particular case, we know normal human behavior will be
   extremely harmful, and any broad statement we make will be pulling back
   from there. So it is likely that many broad statements by health officials
   were neutral or beneficial (at least regarding pandemic spread).

In relation to talking in broad strokes, I insist that it is possible to
make the points much more honestly, and thereby assuage guilt over saying
them. You could even do so and still make your statements short. But per
the middle point above: Being more honest might well lead to less effective
outcomes.

I would add to one point that complicates all the conclusions we want to
draw from our imagined analyses:

   - When all is said and done, we will have no good data regarding how
   citizen behavior affected infection or death rates. That would have
   required direct behavioral observation. What we will have in abundance data
   on how infection and death rates changed (or didn't change) when various
   things were said.