[FRIAM] Effigification

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Apr 8 14:04:59 EDT 2021

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ wrote:
> ... it's a lot of work to do that inferring and the subsequent error correction in straw-steel-etc effigification

Damn, that is a great well packed phrase with a word *I* might have
conjured in the absence of any better one!

I knew right away (I think) what you meant by "effigification" but when
I went looking for a precedent for it, I couldn't find any.   Could this
be a true neologism?  With a little luck it might find it's way into the
OED in an edition or two.   Like we can "verbize any noun", can we
"nounificate any verb"?  In this case, however it seems we are
verbifying a nounificated verb? (effigy->effigify->effigification)

But (mildly?)_ obscured (to me) is whether you consider the
straw<->steel man continuum to in fact be *effigies*?

My connotation of "effigy" includes the business implied by "to burn in
effigy" which in fact *does* apply well to the more flammable end of the
spectrum (i.e. straw), but I don't know if you intend that aspect.
Straw-Steel men *are* models, and perhaps caricatures in some sense.

I'm not deliberately splitting hairs to undermine your argument, but
rather to understand more better what all might be implied by your use
of the straw-steel idiom.   I'm late to the party, having only recently
(months) let go of my archaic mapping which was roughly opposite
yours... in that "straw-good because it is designed to be discardable or
an armature to plaster over into a more elaborate model" vs "steel-bad
because it  likely represents premature binding".