[FRIAM] Effigification

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 14:41:21 EDT 2021

Wow, Steve, I never got to “Effigy”.  Because I took 7 years of Latin, I ended up looking at two Latin verbs that have the same  past participle, figo, figere, fixi, fictus and fingo fingere, fixi, fictus and then, the most common of them all, faceo, facere, feci,  factus, the first meaning to fix, the second meaning to form, and the third meaning to make.  At this point, it began to occur to me in good FRIAM fashion, that these assignments of words to root-lineages were the work not of speakers of Latin but of its teachers, and that the etymology of words with such closely related spellings and meanings was almost certainly more “bushy” than teachers of Latin would have it.

It was at this point, that Steve’s note grabbed me by my long ears and pulled me out of this rabbit hole.  Of course, ef-figi-fic-ation.  So, a neologism to be sure, but with good etymological standing, being derived both from fingo and faceo.  So, effigification = the making of effigies or, to go down deeper, =the making of an outside-formed thing.

Hey, studying Latin for 7 years has to be useful for something!  Can you imagine how different my life would have been if I had 7 years of Chinese?!

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/