[FRIAM] Religious Imagination: The Archer

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 18:21:41 EDT 2021

Hey, Steve, sorry if I appeared to shrug your question off.  My answer was meant to be colorful, but not facetious.

The only god worth having, in  my book, is some sort of an anthropomorphic god.  I am pretty sure that no such god exists.  What does exist is a longing in people to be held in loving hands and put to a purpose, and they may manifest that longing in many ways.  If I care to imagine a Diana-like god as a momentary expression of that longing, then I see nothing wrong with that, or necessarily facetious about it.  Freud, of course, would love it.

When I am indulging my religious imagination, I generally expend my effort on designing the perfect heaven.  Just to reassure you that I am not fooling around here, I will quote the ending of my obituary for my brother, written 8 years ago and spoken before my august, waspish, mostly atheistic family.

I am a life-long Darwinian.  Like Darwin himself, I believe that no-one should be denied the comfort of a religious imagination, particularly if she or he happens to be an athiest. Even a non-believer should take the time to think what heaven might be.  Where will it be?  How old will you be in heaven?  Whom will you see there?  Will those people be as you know them now, or as you knew them as a child? What season will it be?  What will you wear?

For me, heaven will be, a doubles match on the court in Ipswich, my parents, family and friends cheering from the shade of the grape arbor, and me, bent to the net, with my big brother at the base line behind me, ready to serve.

I think that, right there, is the best of religion,  the comforting imagination.

Now, if believing in least action as a fundamental law of nature, as a goal that nature is trying to fulfill, gives you that sort of comfort, I am all for it.  But I cannot imagine being comforted by that.  Well, I suppose I could imagine it like a river, heading toward The Good, and I, lolling in a boat, being carried along.  But I think, pretty quick, I would sit up in the boat and wonder what this Good Place is  (See the TV series of that name)  No religious imagining is going to do me good that isn’t pretty specific.

My own sense of How Things Actually Are is actually pretty unsettling.  As in our politics, I imagine two basins of attraction, one, the progressive democratic, the other, the autocratic fascist, and a function that goes back and forth, going down to the bottom of each basin until it is suddenly flung out into the outskirts of the other from which it now descends.  The only question is how deep down into our present cesspit we have to go before things start to get better.  Is this a 50 year cesspit, or a 400 year one.

Nick

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/> https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/