[FRIAM] Instructional scaffolding - Wikipedia

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 20:31:41 EDT 2021

> That would be like saying of “affordance”, something you can do something
> with.

Damn it man, sometimes you can't be wrong for trying! An affordance *is*
that you can do something with something. Yes. That's what it is.
Etymologically, "affordance" is what you get when you noun the verb "to
afford". So, if that doorway affords your passing-through, then we can say
there is "an affordance" there.

You *should* be able to treat *all* such terminology as useful shorthand.
And if someone accuses you of trading in mysticism, you *should* be able to
just drop all the jargon, spend a bit longer saying whatever it is you have
to say, and make it obvious there is no mysticism.

When Gibson asserts that we can perceive affordances, he means that we
perceive opportunities to cause particular outcomes by means of our
actions. The interesting part of the assertion is *not* that we can do
different things under different circumstances. The interesting part of the
assertion is that we can perceive such things. And THAT is only really
interesting in the context of traditional theories of sensation-perception,
which would assert that only much "simpler" aspects of the world are
"perceived".

So far as I can tell from the Wikipedia article: If you are talking about
"Scaffolding the learning environment to keep the child within the zone of
proximate development", you could just as easily talk about "Giving the
child tasks they can't quite do on their own." The problem with the first
version isn't JUST that the first one is unnecessarily mysterious and
jargony, it is also a problem that the first one is somehow longer. If it
is longer, it can't even be considered a useful shorthand. Also, I am
familiar with many theories of learning, and all the theories I am familiar
with would agree that is a good strategy to moderate the difficulty of
tasks you give a learner, so I am not sure there is a context that makes
the claim interesting, once the jargon is taken out.

P.S. As for 'instruction' the Wikipedia article made a huge deal about
verbal stuff being crucial for "scaffolding"... but I agree with you that
seems pretty arbitrary... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<echarles at american.edu>